With the flowers blooming, the birds chirping and the weather warming up, it’s the perfect time to prepare your patio or deck for the new season! Even though it may be a bit chilly in the earlier spring months, it’s a great time to start working on your patio. Take a look at a few tips we have for preparing this outdoor space for the warmer season!
- Be sure to check that your patio is spic and span. You’ll want to clean it well before setting out your furnishings, plants and decorations. This is also a great time to replace any broken or uneven pavers or stones where water may have collected.
- Pull out all of your outdoor furniture. It’s bound to need a good scrubbing. Each type of furniture will probably have its own cleaning needs, but using a gentle water spray and a soft sponge can go a long way.
- After washing your furniture, it’ll need to be aired out. Prop seat cushions up so they can dry out evenly. This method of drying will ensure that no moisture gets stuck in-between the cushion and the furniture, which means no mold!
- Consider closing in a portion of the deck or patio. Using netting or a canopy can be very beneficial in the warmer weather, when the sun is bright and the bugs are out. The closed-in area will also minimize weather-related damage to furniture and can provide some privacy from neighbors.
- Accessorize! If you love entertaining guests (and family) on the patio, you should accessorize the space to create comfort and fun. Don’t shy away from hanging artwork on an exterior wall or using pottery to decorate your patio. There are tons of water-resistant décor that can be used outdoors. Fresh mulch your flower beds and landscaped areas to create a bright and springy look. If you don’t have a large area, pick out some cute planters like ones from Southern Patio and place them around the area.
Embrace the warmer weather and start enjoying some time outside with your loved ones. When your patio is looking great, your guests will never want to leave!